Kickstarting initiatives for 100,000 new jobs in 2018
- 12 months of industry engagement – Over the last year, we have interacted with close to 200 companies to identify solutions that work. We plan to do more!
- 20 action plans – We have formed 20 industry task teams. Each industry has formulated their own plan to create 5000 jobs. Now it’s time to start taking action.
- One Goal – Our purpose is to create 100,000 new jobs in 2018.
JOIN US as we launch the next phase of this bold, exciting initiative.
BE PART OF THE SOLUTION
South Africans are serious about job creation. Over 200 top organisations have resolved to join the fight against unemployment at the launch of the Job Summit on Monday 27th of November in Sandton. We need everyone to join. Our strategy is simple. Give young people a chance to gain work experience. Research has shown that anyone with 6-12 months work experience has a 80% of finding long-term employment.
Become part of the solution, sign up – take on interns, learners and apprentices. They will become tomorrow your best workers. You do not need to be an owner of a business, become a mentor to someone in your company in your community.
We have organised ourselves as industries. Become a member of our industry task team who are developing detailed implementation plans for each sector. We need your involvement.
Contact us, so we can discuss with you how we can help your company fight unemployment and find the people it needs to succeed.
Lets get South Africa working again.
Support for this initiative
The official launch of this initiative took place on the 27th November, 2017 and :
- Representatives of corporates, SMEs and industry associations across the 20 sectors, government departments, educational institutions, SETA leadership, business representative organisations and non-profit organisations joined us in the launch.
- The event was broadcast live on eNCA. Throughout the day, we were covered on SABC, eNCA, eTV and ANN7. Invited speakers and directors conducted around 10 radio interviews and 10 TV interviews following the event. The level of media interest is indicative of the seriousness of the unemployment crisis in the country.
- More than more than 90% of participants indicated that they would like to join an industry task team and get involved in this initiative.
- Our key constituency, the youth of South Africa, has also expressed a keen interest to get involved with us.
In the spirit of Ubuntu, we will therefore be calling on you to take on creating jobs and ending unemployment as your personal cause in 2018.
THE CHALLENGES FACED
Today, every second young person in South Africa is unemployed. Only 10% of the population is responsible for most of the country’s economic activity. At the same time, there is an essential need to develop workplace skills.
For South Africa to prosper, we need to vigorously promote the concept of inclusive growth and push for a level of collaboration across all sectors of the economy in order to change this situation around.
Many expect government to solve the unemployment problem, but ultimately it’s the private sector that creates jobs. The Jobs Summit is a platform that has been developed for South African business leaders to collaborate and to do more.
Even though industries share similar problems, stakeholders often work in isolation. Yet this challenge is bigger than one company can do. To get impact, we have to work together.
Deputy Director Strategy & Special Projects Office of the Deputy President
CEO: Business Leadership South Africa
General Secretary of the Federation of Unions of South Africa
President at Information Technology Association of South Africa(ITA), Director of Government Relations and CSR at SAP Africa
Executive Director Ubuntu Initiative